The number of cybercrimes over the past decade has increased significantly and the goals and motives of cybercriminals remain unchanged. However, every year their methods become better. In parallel with the increasing popularity of iOS, potential threats are growing. Now, all known operating systems – Mac, Windows, Linus – are under attack.
Antivirus software in most cases prevents attempts to attack your computer. The right choice of antivirus will keep your confidential data safe and your computer working properly. We have selected the best free antivirus software options for Linux.
ClamAV is an antivirus system designed to detect threats in email messages and many other files. This antivirus blocks malware and is open source. The combination of quality plus zero cost makes ClamAV one of the best antivirus products available for Linux.
– ClamAV provides on-demand scanning of individual files, directories, or an entire PC.
– The virus database of the antivirus is updated daily.
– It can work with many archive formats, such as Zip, RAR, OLE2, Gzip, Tar, Bzip2, Cabinet, CHM, SIS, Dmg, and others.
Chkrootkit is short for “check rootkit”. Chkrootkit AntiVirus runs on the command line interface and includes several ways to detect malicious code and other suspicious events in the system.
Benefits of Chkrootkit:
– Ability to detect a variety of malware and trojans.
– Chkrootkit does not require installation on your computer to scan the system.
– It does not affect the performance of your computer.
Comodo provides comprehensive protection against internal and external threats. The cloud database provides verification of unknown files that pose a potential danger.
Advantages of Comodo:
– Timely automatic update of the virus database.
– The presence of a scheduler with the function of setting the time and date of scanning, the necessary files.
– Comodo works in stealth mode without distracting the user with minor alerts.
Sophos Home is a free antivirus that offers malware protection, web protection, viruses and protection against potentially unwanted programs.
• Protection for up to three devices and compatible with other devices
• Real-time antivirus
• Proactive defense technology based on artificial intelligence
5. Rootkit Hunter
Rootkit Hunter is another rootkit scanner, a specialized console utility for checking the local system for various types of potential vulnerabilities. RootKit Hunter has regularly checked for changes in installed applications and files.
Advantages of Rootkit Hunter:
• Rootkit Hunter has its regularly updated database for detecting rootkits and other malicious programs.
• RootKit Hunter can automatically check the system (using CRON) and report problems found by email.
• It does not overload the computer system and is compatible with many UNIX systems.
6. F-Prot Antivirus
F-Prot Antivirus is an antivirus program with a wide range of features and good performance. Able to monitor network activity has a mechanism for updating via the Internet, including in automatic mode.
Advantages of F-PROT:
• Schedule tasks for scanning for viruses at a given time and date
• Provides automatic protection in real-time against viruses, trojans and other malware from incoming and outgoing mail
• Fully automatic file protection system scans all types of files, including those downloaded by web browsers and email applications
In this article, we reviewed the best free antivirus software for Linux. Whether or not to use antivirus is everyone’s choice. If you choose security, you can use one of the above anti-virus programs.