Is it time to get rid of your Gmail account? It’s simple to delete your account if you prefer a different email provider or want to finally get rid of that embarrassing username you made years ago.
The deletion of a Gmail account is irreversible. All of your emails and account settings will be deleted once you complete the process. You will no longer be able to send or receive emails using your Gmail account, and the address will no longer be accessible for use by anyone else in the future.
However, removing a Gmail account does not destroy the Google Account with which the email address is tied. You will continue to have access to your Google Account services, including Google Drive, your calendar, Google Play, and others. Gmail will prompt you to provide another email address that you will use to login into your Google Account in the future.
How to Get Rid of Your Gmail Account
1. Log in to your Google Account.
2. Select “Data & privacy” from the menu on the left.
3. Go to “Data from applications and services you use” and scroll down.
4. Click Delete a Google service under “Download or delete your data.”
5. Type in your password.
6. Select the trash can icon next to “Gmail.”
7. Enter an existing email address with which you wish to sign in to Google services and click “Send verification email.” You are not permitted to use another Gmail address.
8. Open the Google email and click the link to deactivate your account.
9. Select “Yes, I wish to delete my Gmail account” when offered.
10. Select “Delete Gmail” and then “Finish.”
How to Get Rid of a Google Account
1. Complete steps 1-3 above.
2. Go to “Your data and privacy preferences” and scroll down.
3. Choose “More choices,” then “Delete your Google account.”
When you delete an entire Google Account, the material in your Google Drive, Google Calendar, and Google Photos accounts is destroyed, and you no longer have access to subscriptions purchased with that account on YouTube or Google Play (such as apps, movies, games, music and TV shows). If the destroyed Google Account was synchronized with a Google Chrome browser, the browser’s information, including bookmarks, will be erased.